This is a list of the twenty or so main lines of Cree surname descent. It is clear from geographical proximity that some of the lines will have common ancestry, but until the actual links are found, they remain classified as separate lines.
Click on a Line to see a descendancy chart of that line.
For some Lines we have also created a set of Mini-charts each of which shows up to five generations of descent. To access the Mini-charts please click here.
In any Line chart or Mini-chart click on a person's name to see the relevant Person details. To return to the Line or Mini-chart, click the link at the top of the Person details.
The suspected groupings of the lines are as follows:
Line 1 is definitely separate from all other lines and originated in Derbyshire, England.
Line 2 is also separate and originated from a French Huguenot migrant to England.
Lines 3 and 4 are of unknown origin.
Line 5 is an independent line from County Clare, Ireland.
Line 6 may be a separate line - it's origin is unknown.
Lines 7 to 21 seem likely to have a common ancestor in Perthshire, Scotland although links have not been found to prove this.
- Line 1. The Bolsover line Descendants of Alexander Mackree and Anna Hancock of Bolsover, Derbyshire, England
- Line 2. The Huguenot line Descendants of Pierre Jacob Carré of Canterbury, Kent
- Line 3. The Tyneside line Descendants of Thomas Cree and Elizabeth Todd
- Line 4. The Northumberland line Descendants of George and John Crea of Whittingham, Northumberland
- Line 5. The County Clare line The descendants of John Cree of Ennis, Co. Clare
- Line 6. The Massachusetts line Descendants of Nicholas Cree & Keziah Dwinell of Topsfield, MA
- Line 7. The Perth glovers line Descendants of William Crie, burgess of Perth
- Branch 7c. The Abernethy line Descendants of John Crie and Catherine Clerk in Abernethy, Perthshire
- Branch 7d. The Strathmiglo line Descendants of David Cree & Margaret Williamson in Strathmiglo, Fife
- Line 8. The Perth maltmen line Descendants of William Crey & Jonet Ferguson in Perth
- Line 9. The Perth weavers line Descendants of Thomas Crie & Margaret Donaldson in Perth, Scotland
- Branch 10a. The Aberdalgie branch Descendants of Thomas Crie in Aberdalgie, Perthshire
- Branch 10b. The Forteviot branch Descendants of Alexander Cree in Forteviot, Perthshire
- Branch 10c. The Fife and Devon branch Descendants of Thomas Cray in Kettle, Fife
- Line 11. The Methven line of James Cree Descendants of James Cree in Methven, Perthshire
- Line 12. The Methven line of Alexander Cree Descendants of Alexander Cree in Methven, Perthshire
- Line 13. A line from Ceres, Fife Descendants of Andrew Cree/McCree & Euphemia Haliburton in Ceres, Forteviot and Dunkeld
- Line 14. The Sprotbrough line Descendants of William Cree & Martha Nicholson of Sprotbrough, Yorkshire
- Line 15. The Ballybuttle line Descendants of James Crie of Ballybuttle, Co. Down
- Line 17. The Newtownards line Descendants of Robert Cree of Newtownards, Co. Down
- Line 18. The New Jersey line Descendants of Joseph Cree of New York and Elizabeth NJ
- Line 19. The Robert Cree Sr line of PA Descendants of Robert Cree & Janet Hamilton of Cumberland Township PA
- Branch 20a. The Robert Cree (2) branch of PA Descendants of Robert Cree & Mary Roddy of Tyrone Township PA
- Branch 20b. The William Cree branch of PA Descendants of William Cree & Jane Marshall of Jefferson Township, PA
- Branch 21a. The John Cree branch of PA Descendants of John and Jane Cree of Beccaria Township, PA
- Branch 21b. The David Cree branch of PA Descendants of David Cree & Anne Patterson of Dublin Township, PA
- Line 22. The James Cree line of SC Descendants of James Cree Sr of South Carolina
- Line 25.The Chree line of Aberdeenshire Descendants of an unknown Chruie who was born in about the 1620s